By downloading torrents files, you will be able to repatriate on your computer all the files you want. Nothing’s easier. Alas! It is also through them that the viruses pass. Moreover, a large part of the files is protected by copyright and downloading them puts you in the illegal. By shouting a little, you will limit the risk of infection and those of being caught in the act of downloading.
Avoid repatriating viruses
1. You must have an effective and up-to-date antivirus. If your antivirus is effective, it will spot any viruses hidden in the files repatriated. On Windows, Windows Defender has already proven itself in the field. It activates from the control panel. You must not have any other antivirus installed; otherwise, there is a risk of conflict. You can install a third-party antivirus, such as BitDefender or Kaspersky. Anyway, your machine should only have one active antivirus.
2. Load only torrents with a lot of seeders. This is a sign that the program is not infected. Indeed, those who downloaded before you had no problem and leave it available to others. This is not an absolute guarantee, but you can still rely on it. Besides this aspect of things, your download will also be faster.
3. Read the comments before downloading. They are not 100% reliable, but if there are viruses in the files, it will be mentioned in these comments. If you do not see any comments about the presence of a virus, you can give them some confidence. Conversely, if only one of them reports a virus, do not take risks: do not download it.
4. Avoid downloading certain files. Those in .exe and .bat are to be checked closely because they are the most apt to contain viruses. And if it was necessary to warn you, know that of all the programs, the most dangerous are those which were “cracked”.
5. Join a private sharing community. If you are accepted into one of these communities, there is much less chance of downloading infected programs. The torrents made available were created by the members of the group on the basis of “safe” programs. The entry into one of these communities is not simple; it is based on the principle of cooptation: someone from the group, sure of your seriousness, invites you to join him. How to know someone who will co-opt you? Participate actively in online communities, and maybe someone will spot you.
Avoid being spotted
1. Understand how torrents work. When you download a torrent file, your IP address is displayed, just like the other members involved in the transfer. The torrent protocol, provided by a “torrent client”, almost directly connects private computers to each other. It is necessary to have addressed so that the transfer can be done. In doing so, you expose yourself to “hackers”, but especially to the authorities who track down those who download protected content. Among those who are in charge of flushing out fraudsters, there is primarily your own ISP (Internet Service Provider), but also official institutions. We reveal some tips to limit the risk of your provider limiting your bandwidth.
2. Install PeerBlock. It is a firewall whose function is to analyze your Internet connection to automatically stop all at-risk IP addresses. Clearly, when you download, the “dubious” IP addresses (those of you who monitor you) are neutralized and somehow come out of the torrent traffic. Of course, no system is foolproof. Your Internet Service Provider has many other measures at its disposal to know that you are making the potentially illegal transfer and it will signal you! On the other hand, it is a rather effective firewall against HADOPI! PeerBlock can be downloaded for free at peerblock.com. Follow the installation instructions and activate it. It works in the background when your torrent client is active. Some “dangerous” addresses are blocked. As an included list, check the P2P box during PeerBlock initialization.
3. Consider using a virtual private network (“VPN”). To surf anonymously, nothing beats a connection to a virtual private network (VPN in English, for “Virtual Private Network. Even your Internet service provider will only see fire and you will be able to download at an optimal speed. As for organizations fighting illegal transfer, they will not see your real address. No warning emails, no lawsuits!
There are of course some disadvantages to using a virtual private network. Since it’s not free, it’s up to you to see if it’s worth it. The download speed is lower because there is a server between you and others. If you connect to a virtual private network hosted abroad, the speed is even lower. Unlike the torrent client, who does not keep track of the transfers, virtual private networks keep connection logs that can be claimed by the authorities if necessary. Not all networks keep them.
4. Join a virtual private network. They are not lacking, but they are not obvious to find, because if they are not illegal in themselves, they generate activities that can be illegal. Before subscribing to one of these networks, read the general conditions of use. Look in particular at what they do with their log logs. Some virtual private networks do not allow sharing by torrents. You will find some below, but there are many others? Do a search on Google. Carefully avoid free virtual private networks, as it is not safe. Many settle in countries in which they are “quiet” legally and fiscally.
Private Internet Access
5. Retrieve the connection information of the virtual private network. When you subscribe to a network, you are given identifiers that allow you to log in, such as the network server address, a username, and a password. You must go through the network’s website to obtain this information.
6. Open your torrent client. You must configure your torrent client to access the network server.
7. As appropriate, open the Options or Preferences menu. It is located respectively in the Tools or Options menu at the top of the window.
8. Click the Connection tab. There, you can make the settings you want, and most importantly, fill in the connection information to the chosen virtual private network.
9. Select the type of network. This is possible in the Proxy Server section of the Type menu. Most virtual private networks use the SOCKS5 encryption protocol. Check that this is the protocol that the network administrator has given you.
10. Fill in the network address and the port. These two pieces of information are given on the network’s website. Most virtual private networks run on multiple servers providing greater bandwidth. The Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections check box must be selected.
11. Let’s go for downloads! Once the private network is set up, you can start downloading anonymously. No VPN allows a completely anonymous connection, but the risks of getting caught are almost nil.